French inspired garden ideas
French inspired garden ideas are a wonderful blend of formal Italian and rural rustic French charm. I was prompted to share these simple garden ideas with you after watching the final series of the Channel 4 show “Escape to the Chateau” and seeing the beautiful National Trust Hidcote flagstone crafted by Westminster Stone. It is also a reminder that so often great gardens start with a dream. A few years ago I visited Monet Gardens in Giverny, I was struck by the vibrancy of colours and the beauty of reflective water surfaces covered in bright green water lilies. Whether your garden is small or large use these 5 simple garden ideas to start planning your dream garden.
- Style– French inspired garden ideas are a blend of formal and rustic charm. Vibrant colours;
- Focal point- create a focal point, does not always need to be as elaborate as Monet’s bridge though;
- Garden paths– even in small gardens you can add pathways to create a sense of journey through your garden;
- Materials- classic French designed gardens will involve stoneware and rustic paving. Take a look at our Old Mill Flagstones;
- Planting– formal planting will include boxwood hedges. Add colour and scent with rows of lavender along the edge of formal paved or gravel, or decorative aggregate pathways .