There is no such thing as a NO maintenance garden, but you can with careful design and product selection create a low maintenance garden. There are a variety of reasons why you would consider a low maintenance garden, and clearly the most appropriate product selection will depend upon your own reason and requirements. Rogers Gardenstone has a wide selection of products suitable for use within a low maintenance garden. Here are some things to consider:
- Style– at the design stage it is useful to consider the style of your garden. Formal or Informal. If you like straight lines and neat borders then a formal layout is likely to suit you more than the casual design an informal style will create. Are you looking for a modern contemporary style or are you more comfortable with a traditional design. This choice of style will influence your product selection, but more crucially your overall layout.
- Product selection– here is a list of products regularly used within a low maintenance garden:
- Good product combinations– mix up different hard landscaping products, such as stepping stones and gravels with a cobble sett border. Provide height by using rockery and cobbles.
- Avoid– you do want to avoid planting that requires a lot of weeding, pruning and watering in a dry summer. You will want to avoid cleaning a patio every few months or picking out leaves from a gravel border. No one minds a bit of sweeping, but having to remove algae from your paving can be a difficult and regular job. Choose paving which does not need regular cleaning. Avoid overhanging branches on your patio. Ideally your main patio should be in a sunny position.
- Construction– always prepare a firm and lasting base foundation for a patio, this will avoid movement and future maintenance. Lay a good weed control fabric under gravels and mulch.