26 June 2016
How to make the most of a small patio
I was reminded recently, that for some people it can be a real challenge to make the most of a small patio space, especially if it does not form part of the main garden, or if it has been neglected by previous owners. Here are some ideas of how to make the most of your small patio.
- Pots- In my view you can never have too many well placed and planted up pots. Use a mixture of sizes, arrangements of groups of three pots are very effective. There is a wide range of pots available, but do try and choose frost free varieties.
- Planting- You may have the option to create some raised beds along the edge of your small patio, if you do, then use this planting space to add colour and scent. Give thought to seasonal planting schemes, to make the most of your patio throughout the year.
- Circle patio feature- Replace tired looking grey square patio slabs with a one of our Circle patio features. Use natural stone setts to create an attractive border.
- Lighting- Clever use of garden lighting can help make your small patio more inviting to sit and relax in, during the evening.
- Gravel- Use gravel to break up a paved area.
- Mirrors- You can hang an outdoor mirror on a wall to help create an illusion of extra space.