21 June 2023
Step-by-Step Guide: How to Build a Raised Garden Planter
Concrete timber sleepers are a durable and versatile material that can be used to build a variety of structures, including raised garden beds. They are resistant to rot, decay, and pests, making them a good choice for long-lasting gardens. In addition, they can be used to create a variety of different looks, from simple and rustic to elegant and modern. Read How to Build a Raised Garden Planter with our tips and tricks below:
Concrete Timber Sleepers
Mortar / Adhesive Bed
Stakes & String
The size of your raised garden planter will depend on your needs and the space you have available. However, a good starting point is a bed that is 4 feet wide, 8 feet long, and 2 feet high. This will give you enough space to grow a variety of plants, and it will be easy to reach the plants at the top of the bed.
Build a Raised Garden Planter
- Choose a location for your raised garden bed. It should be in a sunny spot with good drainage.
- Mark out the dimensions of your bed with stakes and string.
- Dig out the soil to the desired depth.
- Lay down a layer of landscape fabric to prevent weeds from growing through the bottom of your bed.
- Cut the concrete timber sleepers to the desired lengths.
- Assemble the frame of your bed using concrete adhesive or mortar.
- Fill the bed with soil and mulch.
- Plant your favourite flowers, vegetables, or herbs!
- If you are using concrete timber sleepers that have been used in the past, be sure to clean them thoroughly to remove any dirt, debris, or chemicals.
- If you are building a raised garden bed in a colder climate or a spot that does not get as much sun, you may want to consider using a double layer of concrete railway sleepers to provide additional insulation.
- To make your raised garden bed more visually appealing, add decorative features such as stepping stones around or leading up to it or add a trellis at the back for climbing plants to thrive.
- Use a level to ensure that your bed is level. This will help to prevent water from pooling at one end of the bed.
- Fill the bed with a high-quality potting mix that is designed for raised beds.
- Mulch the bed to help retain moisture and suppress weeds.
Shop Oakstone Timber Sleeper
Oakstone Timber Planter is a handmade stone product. These authentic Oakstone Timber Planter sections, provide a simple solution to creating a raised planter bed, garden edging or pathway stepping stones. They can be dry laid flat or can be stood on their sides to create a stylish traditional planter. Please note that these are reproduction timbers, and will not rot. The Oakstone Timber Planter sections can also be used as path edging, steps, or stepping stones.